Poverty Study/Action Committee|
The Poverty Committee focuses on study and action related to the problem of poverty in the Houston area. We are trying to learn about the many dimensions of poverty through reading, viewing short films and inviting guest speakers to our meetings. We are are seeking opportunities to help alleviate poverty in our city and surrounding areas.
Two organizations that the committee works closely with are:
- Angela House - The mission of Angela House is to successfully transition women into society after incarceration.
- San Francisco Nativity School - Breaking the cycle of poverty through a quality Christian education: San Francisco Nativity Academy of Houston, a non-tuition based private Christian school, empowers low-income students to reach their full potential through a challenging curriculum, spiritual development and familial support within an extended day and extended year.
To study different aspects of poverty the committee hold book discussions open to all. Some of the books discussed:
- Tattoos on the Heart: The Power of Boundless Compassion by Gregory Boyle
- Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption by Bryan Stevenson.
- Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay and a Mothers Will to Survive by Stephanie Land
- The American Way of Eating by Tracie McMillion
All are welcome!!
As the Dominican Family keeps growing, we rely on dedicated members to help us strengthen our mission. We accomplish this through the active participation of our members in our committees. Please contact Krystle Powell, email@example.com if you have any questions or wish to get involved.
© 2020, Dominican Family of Houston. All rights reserved.